FIVE FACTS ABOUT THE SECOND CHANCE PET BLOG AND PAGE
- I have been involved with animal shelters for the past 11 years, in one capacity or another. I’ve socialized dogs, attended adoption events, worked as an adoption counselor, served as Volunteer Coordinator, managed a Facebook page, fostered a dog, and generally been involved in most aspects of animal rescue and shelter. The Second Chance Pet blog will draw on a combination of my experience, observations, and opinions and the experience of friends and acquaintances in the field – please take what is of use to you, and leave the rest.
- I am definitely a “dog person”. That is not to say that I don’t like cats – I have had cats as pets in the past and loved them dearly. However, I would choose dogs as personal pets (the cats came to me as strays), and I am not as knowledgeable about them as I am about dogs. Therefore, I will be touching base with my animal rescue cat-oriented friends for information and assistance as required.
- The shelter information in the directory is as complete as I can make it. Be aware that, except for a very few instances, I have no personal connection with shelters listed and only share that information which they themselves provide – whether through Facebook pages, their website, or personal contact. I can only warrant that I have provided information as currently available and cannot speak to anything else.
- I pledge NOT to share horror stories. We all know how badly animals are treated by some humans – there is absolutely no need to spell it out. I want to touch your heartstrings with joy, not sorrow; with hope, not tragedy; with love, not rage. This is to be a place of forever homes, and happy endings. My goal is to help you become familiar with the world of companion animal rescue, guide you in choosing your first (or second, or fifteenth) adopted companion, and provide information on fostering, health, and behavior. I will share statistics on occasion, and some will not be pleasant, but, always, my goal will be to show how we can make things better.
- I cannot run this page by myself. If you’re familiar with any animal shelters or rescues in your area, please use the Nominate a Shelter button on the Home page and give me as much information as you can. If you only know name, location, and contact information, that’s fine – it gives me a place to start. And thank you all in advance!
Please feel free to contact me directly at [email protected] with any concerns, or any topics you would like to see me explore.
Thank you for being here, and Welcome to Second Chance Pet!